The Palm Springs International Film Society is always looking for talented interns who want to learn more about film, communications, event planning, and business management.
The Film Society offers a comprehensive program in which interns gain skills in their chosen field, learn the workings of a non-profit organization, and experience how a film festival operates from the inside. We are proud to host a new cohort of interns each season to learn about and contribute to the process of putting on two major international film festivals and other year-round programming. Internships offer a stipend upon completion.
CURRENT INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Internships with the Palm Springs International Film Society require a minimum commitment of 120 hours. Start dates and work hours vary by department.
Due to the pandemic, we expect that all internships will be completed remotely.
SOCIAL MEDIA INTERN | May 17 - July 2, 2021
The Social Media Intern will support the Social Media Coordinator and Marketing team with all aspects of the festival's social media marketing, promotions and advertising. The team will focus on promoting a consistent message, coordinating image and marketing campaigns that connect and inform potential filmgoers, festival guests, and media outlets with festival information and events as well as promote films and filmmakers attending the festival. The Palm Springs International ShortFest will provide insight and practical experience into social media content creation, scheduling, design, and photography, as well as knowledge of the day-to-day operations of a film festival.
Elements of the position include:
- Monitor company social media feeds
- Monitor and post on social networks
- Online outreach and promotion using Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and more
- Update Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts
- Responds to posts or comments to bring value to user's interactions
- Posts festival news and announcements in a timely manner using approved content
- Post and interacts with local or relevant organizations and interest groups
- Performs research to find articles, stories, resources, or other content that is relevant to our customer base and posts it to our social networks in a manner that invites conversation and interaction
- Updates social media accounts with current and relevant photos, video, or other content from festival events
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Intermediate computer processing skills including Microsoft Office, Google programs and social media platforms
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud applications a plus
- Ability to lead as well as follow and execute instructions effectively
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, adaptable, flexible, self-motivated, solution driven and be able to work independently
- Must be able to have FUN and be a team player
- Interest in Marketing and/or Public Relations
- College coursework or comparable work experience preferred
- Preference will be given to those seeking academic credit
MARKETING INTERN | May 17 - July 2, 2021
The Marketing Intern will support the Marketing & Communications Coordinator with all aspects of the festival's marketing, promotions and advertising functions, helping coordinate efforts in, but not limited to, print advertising, radio advertising, television advertising, community awareness, and target marketing.
Elements of the position include:
- Track, collect and organize all press clippings on festival, make copies of individual film reviews and coverage for end-of-fest packages for filmmakers and distributors.
- Maintain press clipping book, log in and keep track of all press materials
- Assist in distribution of electronic marketing content
- Participate in social media campaigns and help update social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, daily
- Help respond to press requests and distribute materials to media who request it
- Review of web content and suggest updates as needed
- Assist in the production of promotional materials as required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Creative Cloud preferred
- Experience dealing with confidential information
- Excellent written, verbal communication skills and proofreading experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience in marketing or promotions preferred
PRODUCTION & TECHNICAL INTERN | May 17 - July 2, 2021
The production intern will assist the Operations Manager with daily tasks and get insight into festival operations, event production, time management, coordination and teamwork. This internship requires high level of detail and sharp technical abilities.
Elements of the internship include:
- Monitor, proof, and test online film & event content
- Update database & website content
- Download, save, and organize event recordings according to set processes
- Reporting of virtual attendance and watching trends
- Assist with the coordination of 'how to' materials
- Be present at online virtual events and assist with technical needs
- Monitor and respond to customer technical issues
- Help troubleshoot technical issues across multiple platforms
- Ability to follow direction and processes
- Ability to prioritize and work efficiently
- Applicants should be able to learn new programs and platforms with ease - technically savvy
- Experience with Zoom, Microsoft Office, Google products a must
- Experience editing website content & Adobe Creative Cloud a plus
- Ability to work and cooperate with multiple team members and personalities